Sunday, March 4, 2018

Most Anticipated Films of 2018

We're now pretty deep into 2018, which begs the question, "Why are you just writing this blog post now?" Well, there's not really a great reason for that. It's just tough to find a couple of hours uninterrupted to write a post like this. That's not to say that I haven't wanted to. I've had this list in mind since before the new year even began. With that in mind, I am going to be listing my most anticipated films for this year as if I haven't seen any of them (which remains true for almost all of them). These aren't necessarily the films that I think are going to be the best, but rather these are the ones that I am the most excited to see. To give you an idea of how deep this year's slate of films is, here are some movies that didn't make the list: X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Deadpool 2Pacific Rim: Uprising, VenomA Wrinkle in Time, and Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2. This looks like it's going to be a record-breaking year at the box office, and hopefully we'll get some unforgettable moments at the theater as well. With that, let's get into my list!



Honorable Mentions


Ocean's 8   (6/8/2018)


While Ghostbusters failed to recapture the magic of its predecessor for most audiences, it looks like Ocean's 8 won't have a problem living up to expectations. With a star-studded cast (as is tradition for any true Ocean's movie), and a fresh take on the familiar tropes of the series, I think Ocean's 8 is going to be a pleasant surprise for most movie-goers this summer.



Mortal Engines   (12/14/2018)



To be perfectly honest, I had no idea what Mortal Engines was before I heard that Peter Jackson was attached to produce it. Then I did a little research about the story, and that plus the visuals of the teaser trailer and the talent behind the production got me incredibly interested in what this movie could be. Yes, we do have to wait until December before it comes out, but I have a suspicion it's going to be worth the wait.



Mission Impossible: Fallout   (7/27/2018)


How do they keep making these movies so freaking good?! I think I can speak for almost all human kind when I say that Mission: Impossible 5 had no right to be as great as it was. I mean, what franchise keeps improving this far along, particularly with an aging star like Tom Cruise at the helm? Well, by continually inserting fresh blood behind and in front of the camera. With returning stars and new actors to the franchise (like Rebecca Ferguson and Henry Cavill respectively), I think this has the potential to be up there with Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation as one of the Best M:I movies to date.



Ready Player One   (3/29/2018)


This movie has been on and off my list for a little while now. It was initially on the list when I heard that Spielberg was involved in the story... then off the list when I tried reading the book. However, there was enough potential in the concept and enough pure visual nostalgic insanity occurring in the trailers that I can't help but want to see this. It could end up being a complete and utter mess, but it could also be an incredibly fun time. Let's hope for the latter, but either way we only have a couple of weeks to wait!


Ant-Man and the Wasp   (7/6/2018)


It pains me to leave this one off the list, but it's hard for me to get too excited about movies that seem like they're treading pretty familiar territory. Of course, I made that mistake with Spider-Man: Homecoming last year and it ended up being fantastic. Hopefully Ant-Man and the Wasp will exceed my expectations in a similar way. I think bringing back Michael Douglas is a stroke of brilliance, and the chemistry between Evangeline Lilly and Paul Rudd looks stronger than ever. Marvel seems like they can do no wrong since the release of Thor: Ragnarok, so let's hope they can keep their streak alive.


Most Anticipated Films of 2018


#10   Aquaman   (12/21/2018)


I know, a lot of people have been disappointed by the DCEU so far... I just haven't been one of them. Sure, Justice League had its problems, but no one can say that Wonder Woman wasn't a great movie. As someone who liked what Jason Mamoa did with his character in JL, and as a believer in what the DC films can be, I think Warner Bros is going to prove yet again that their stand-alone films are rock solid. They brought in a proven director of popcorn action with a vision for how they can film underwater movements like we've never seen before. We haven't seen anything from it yet, but I think Aquaman is going to take a lot of people off guard - in a good way - when it finally comes out in December.



#9   Mary Poppins Returns   (12/25/2018)


While Disney has been a little hit-or-miss with me in regards to their live-action adaptations and modern retellings of old classics, I still think there's a lot to be excited about when it comes to Mary Poppins Returns. For one thing, Emily Blunt is an incredibly talented actress, and the fact that this is following up with Michael's children years after the original tells me that they've put some thought into how this might progress after the original. Perhaps most encouraging of all is the involvement of musical genius Lin-Manuel Miranda, who was most recently responsible for the tremendous songs in Moana. As it won't be released until Christmas, it may be a while until we get a proper first look at the film... but I'm willing to bet this is one we won't want to miss this holiday season.



#8   Christopher Robin   (8/3/2018)


Okay, I have very personal reasons for why I'm looking forward to this movie. For one thing, I am a huge fan of Ewan McGregor. Not only for his work on Star Wars, but also for Big Fish, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. Also, this director is responsible for another of my all-time favorite films, Finding Neverland. Pair that with the story of an older Christopher Robin who has lost his imagination, and you can bet this is going to be right up my alley. I'm probably going to cry like a baby during this film, and I am perfectly okay with that. Of course, I don't expect Christopher Robin to be one of my all-time favorite films, but I think there's a good chance it could be one of the best of 2018.



#7   Incredibles 2   (6/15/2018)


Pixar is in a class of its own, and I think most people have been desperately awaiting a sequel to The Incredibles for at least 10 years now. It took familiar dynamics of superhero movies and did something completely unique with it, and that was even before the superhero craze took over Hollywood. Imagine how much material they have to work from now that we're getting almost ten of these movies each year! If the teaser trailer is any indication, I think all of our waiting will pay off once this movie hits theaters this June. I can't wait!



#6   Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald   (11/16/2018)


As a borderline fanatic of the Harry Potter books, I had little problems here and there with each of the big-screen adaptations. However, when I finally had the opportunity to be surprised in the theater by a movie set in the wizarding world when Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them came out in 2016, I thought it was the best Harry Potter movie ever. Now that the sequel is on the horizon with promises of a young Dumbledore recruiting Newt Scamander to help hunt down Grindlewald, I think this has the potential to top the original. If screenwriter J.K. Rowling has proven anything, it's that she has a knack for getting better and better with each progressive story she writes.



#5   Creed 2   (11/21/2018)


This year is full of sequels to movies I love, and Creed 2 is no exception. The story of Adonis Creed coming to terms with his late and estranged father's legacy was an incredibly heartfelt one, but it also didn't lack in the adrenaline-pumping fight scenes that we've come to expect from the Rocky franchise. Now that Creed 2 is coming with a story that forces Adonis to confront his father's killer (Drago) and go up against his just-as-intimidating son, I couldn't stop myself from putting this in my top 5. Michael B. Jordan continues to prove that he is an A-list talent, and with Stallone arguably at the top of his game, I think this will continue to push this franchise into new and exciting directions.



#4   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom   (6/22/2018)


Jurassic World was one of the most financially successful films of all time, and with that comes the potential for backlash. While it certainly experienced plenty of that, I haven't lost any appreciation for what that film brought to the table. It was nostalgic and fun, but also had a touching message that I think was lost on a lot of people. Fallen Kingdom looks like it's ratcheting up the crazy action, and taking these genetically recreated dinosaurs to brand new places... literally and figuratively. I don't know how you can watch the trailer and not be hooked. It's a horrifying prospect, and one that will only lead to more terrifying things to come.


#3   Black Panther   (2/16/2018)


Remember when I said I would rank these as if I hadn't seen them? Yeah, this is the one I was talking about. I'll write an official review soon, but based on the material that I saw leading up to its release, I thought this had the potential to be one of Marvel's best movies ever. Don't worry, it meets those lofty expectations. Chadwick Boseman was one of the best parts of Captain America: Civil War, and I knew his character's standalone film would be fantastic if it could live up to what was merely teased in that film. Michael B. Jordan is fantastic in the movie as well, which I predicted prior to walking into the theater. Now the pressure is on Infinity War to clear the bar that Black Panther has just raised.


#2   Solo: A Star Wars Story   (5/25/2018)


Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm one of the biggest Star Wars fans they know, but for a while I wasn't that excited about the prospect of a Han Solo movie. I guess I just had a hard time envisioning what that would even look like. Obviously I knew what events were likely to occur in a movie about a young Han Solo, but that doesn't necessarily lend itself to an obviously compelling story. Having said that, it was the visuals in the trailer released for the Super Bowl that got me really excited to see this movie. Director Ron Howard does have a lot of credibility, and the Star Wars brand in general continues to earn its stellar reputation. If I could boil my excitement down to one moment in the trailer, it would be the stand-off between Solo and an unknown enemy. The camera is focused on Han's blaster, and it looks like the coolest version of a western set in space that I could have imagined. I think Alden Ehrenreich is going to be awesome as Han, as long as people can give him a chance to reinterpret the character. The rest of the cast looks incredible as well (especially Donald Glover as Lando), but I think it's John Powell's score that I'm most excited about. If his magnificent work on How to Train Your Dragon is any indication, we're in for a real treat. In the immortal words of Han Solo, "Bring it on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!" Okay, so the last part of that wasn't as applicable, but you get what I mean.



#1   Avengers: Infinity War   (4/27/2018)


As if anything else could possibly usurp the superhero movie to end all superhero movies. Marvel has been building up to this moment for almost ten years now, when Nick Fury first approached Iron Man in a post-credits scene about the "Avengers Initiative". Now, we have dozens of characters from over 18 movies that are colliding for an extravaganza of epic proportions. This is the culmination of the Infinity Stones that have been collected since the first Avengers film hit theaters in 2012, where Thanos first appeared and smiled at the prospect of courting death by attacking Earth. Josh Brolin looks to be an intimidating presence that even the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, or many many others cannot withstand. Just watching the trailer gave me goosebumps, and knowing that Alan Silvestri (who penned the now iconic Avengers theme) is returning to score this movie tells me that these are the first of many. The Russo brothers appear to be at the top of their directing game after Captain America: Civil War, and I think they may have just reached new heights with Infinity War. The only thing I'm dreading is the near certainty that at least one character we love is bound to be a victim of Thanos's hostile takeover of this world. Outside of a Star Wars movie, I can't think of a movie I've been as excited to see in recent memory. Thank goodness they moved this up a week so I don't have to wait quite as long!


- - -


That's what we've got to look forward to in 2018, and it's a pretty incredible list! After what Black Panther did, I have no idea what film is going to make the most money (besides Avengers: Infinity War, obviously), and I really don't know which is going to be the best in terms of quality. The nice part is that we all get to just go out and enjoy all of these films without having to worry about how good it is or isn't. Movies are all about entertainment, and that looks to be abundant in this year's slate of films. Let me know what movies you're looking forward to in the comments! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment