Sunday, December 31, 2017

Best Films of 2017

Yet again, the year ends and I find myself wishing I had time to catch up on all of the potentially great films I've missed. LoganThe Post, Baby Driver, Downsizing and Wonder are among those that would have surely been contending for spots on this list if I had been able to see them. However, I can't wait to see all of the year's films before making my list. It's been far too long since I've even written an actual review, so I can't miss my annual recap of my favorite movies of the year. With all of that out of the way, here is my list of the best films of 2017!


Best Films of 2017


#10   Blade Runner 2049


One of the most beautiful films of the year, Blade Runner 2049 follows up the sci-fi classic that is its predecessor and arguably tops it. Denis Villeneuve is a masterful director, and combined with legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins they've created an astonishing visual work. The story is fascinating as well, and though it does tend to drag in places, the gorgeous camerawork is enough to keep my attention when the pacing lags. Harrison Ford is hardly in the film, but when he's there it's a true highlight. Ryan Gosling can seemingly do no wrong as well, and his portrayal of the replicant hired to hunt down other replicants is a subtle balance struck with expert precision. 



#9   Thor: Ragnarok


Easily the funniest film of the year, not to mention of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thor: Ragnarok is an incredibly enjoyable time at the theater. It doesn't rest its laurels entirely on its comedy, however, as it takes some of the riskiest chances of any superhero film to date. Chris Hemsworth has never been so charismatic, and his interplay with Mark Ruffalo is one of the highlights of the film - not to mention the iconic fight between Hulk and Thor in the arena. Even if I hadn't seen the jaw-droppingly awesome trailer, this movie makes me incredibly excited to see next year's Avengers: Infinity War. If only it was May already!



#8   War for the Planet of the Apes


One of the most stark and serious films of the year is also one of the most stunning. Taken on as a character piece where the titular apes are far more human than the homo-sapiens they are battling, this film shows a fascinating side of conflict that isn't always seen on screen. Director Matt Reeves is at the top of his game here, and though it may not entirely earn the final moments of the film, he ends this trilogy on an incredibly strong note. It's a shame that Andy Serkis won't be nominated for his remarkable work as Caesar, which has somehow gotten better with each successive film. They'll have to settle for an Oscar for Visual Effects at this year's Academy Awards. 



#7   Murder on the Orient Express


I am shocked that more people haven't gravitated to this movie. Gorgeously shot and impeccably acted, this ensemble piece takes unexpected turns at every opportunity and never fails to entertain along the way. Kenneth Branagh not only directs this film expertly, but he also acts the crap out of the lead role, detective Hercule Poirot (and creates enormous mustache envy at the same time). It's funny at all the right moments, but also doesn't shy away from the more sinister nature of the subject matter. I was thrilled to hear that they are moving forward with the sequel, "Death on the Nile". If it's anywhere near as good as this film then we're in for another fantastic ride.



#6   Justice League


Okay, I know this one is going to be a bit controversial, but I can't deny that I thoroughly enjoyed Justice League. Some of the complaints are a bit ridiculous (Superman's mustache is way overblown), and many people are inexplicably denying the entertainment value in front of their faces. I mean, how awesome is that scene when the League is having to go against its strongest member? (Trying to avoid spoilers.) Joss Whedon did a fantastic job of taking Zack Snyder's film and giving it a fresh and light-hearted take that is far easier to digest than some of the previous films in the DCEU. Each character gets their moment, and the interplay between them makes me anxious to see them band together again soon.



#5   Spider-Man: Homecoming


I'm not sure if I was as pleased with any other film from start to finish as I was with the latest iteration of Spider-Man. I had a smile on my face the entire time, and thought all of the humor worked marvelously (no pun intended). Tom Holland is a wonderful Peter Parker, and I can't wait to see where his character goes in future MCU films. Does it lack the seriousness of the best Marvel films? Perhaps, but not every film needs to be the exact same. Spider-Man doesn't need to have the complexity or weight of Captain America. Despite that, it still manages to solve the chronic villain problem Marvel keeps having, with a great performance by Michael Keaton as the Vulture. Tony Stark's inclusion was also a perfect fit, and the budding mentorship he has with Peter works better than I could have imagined.



#4   Coco


This was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me, though I suppose it shouldn't have been. Pixar seems to have a never-ending supply of imaginative and emotionally resonating stories up their sleeves, and Coco is no exception. Taking a holiday that many of us Yanks don't really understand could have been a bit of a risk, but I found the Day of the Dead tradition a fascinating canvas on which to tell a heartfelt story of family and forgiveness. The animation is gorgeous, and the music is guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes (especially at the very end). There is nobody better than Pixar when it comes to animation for the whole family, and Coco is a perfect example of that.



#3   Wonder Woman


Speaking of surprises, I wasn't expecting Wonder Woman to be so inspiring! Just watching my wife light up as Amazonian warriors charged into battle made me love this film even more. Heck, even I get a little teary-eyed when she goes through No Man's Land. How can you not? Anyway, Gal Gadot is perfectly cast as the iconic hero, and her portrayal of not only strength and ferocity but also of compassion is what makes this truly special. She's a hero that everyone can and should look up to, particularly in our current climate. This movie made me look forward to future DC films even more, and it catapulted Wonder Woman to being perhaps my favorite member of the Justice League. Let's hope they can recapture the magic in Wonder Woman 2.



#2   Dunkirk


Anyone who knows my taste in movies could tell you that I was dying to see Dunkirk in theaters, if for no other reason than it was Christopher Nolan's next project. I've seen and deeply admired everything he's made throughout his career, but what he did with this movie was unlike any of his previous films. Coming in at a lean 90 minutes, Dunkirk is a nonstop battle scene that literally doesn't ease up until five minutes before the credits roll. Much of that is due to Hans Zimmer's heart-pounding score, which is a literal ticking clock that builds tension relentlessly throughout the film. If you've ever wondered what the people fighting in that awful battle felt like, watch this movie. The stunning work done in camera is unlike anything you've seen before, with massive ships sinking, real fighter planes soaring, and countless soldiers scurrying. The manner in which the story is told is very nonlinear, which is a Nolan trademark, and rewards repeat viewing. One can only hope that this breaks the streak of Nolan getting ignored by the Academy. All signs point to him breaking through with a Best Director nomination, and possibly even a win. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 



#1   Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi


And here it is... the most controversial selection of my top 10 list. But you know what? This is my list of favorite films of 2017, so if you don't agree with it go make your own list. For me, no movie has been as fascinating, as surprising, as mind-blowing, or as investing as The Last Jedi. The complications of Luke's mysterious past, the conflict of dark and light within Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, the desperation for survival of the Resistance, and the ultimate destiny of Rey all hang in the balance as every character is pushed to the breaking point. Rian Johnson has taken all of our preconceptions and predictions for this movie and turned them all on their heads. Taking risks is something that more filmmakers need to embrace, though doing so is resigning to the fact that you will not please everyone. It's taken me two viewings and a couple of weeks to reflect on this film before I've fully been able to even process all that I've seen. However, this is a movie that I can't wait to see again and again, to immerse myself in the chaos of a Rebellion on the rise and a changing of the guard for good and evil. It also has the coolest fight scene of the year, which you will definitely know when you see it. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi is the most intriguing film, the most polarizing film, but also the most exciting and entertaining film of the year. Whenever I think of 2017, I will think of The Last Jedi, which makes it number one on my list.


- - -


So there you have it! What were your favorite films of 2017? Let me know in the comments section below. It's been a great year for movies, and I think next year is going to be another great one. I'll be hopefully getting some more reviews of these films out in the next couple of weeks, but I wanted to get this list out while it was still 2017. Look for my most anticipated films of 2018 to come out tomorrow! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment