Wednesday, March 6, 2019

2018 Catch-Up


Okay, I know what you're thinking... you're still doing these things? Well, the answer is yes and no. Yes, with this post I can now say that I am still doing these things. No, because for the last 12 months I have not done any of these things. Wait, where was I going with this post? Oh yeah, I'm trying to catch up on movie reviews for all of the films I saw from last year that I didn't get around to reviewing officially. Don't worry, though, I'm going to keep them brief. One or two sentences max. Okay, maybe three or four... It's going to be tough, but I will force myself to keep it brief.

(DISCLAIMER: I didn't get to go to the theater as much as I would like, so some movies I may have saw in full at the cinema, I decided to stop watching once I realized they were bad. That's why you won't see any reviews for films less than 3 stars. The lesser ones would have been: A Wrinkle in Time, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Mama Mia: Here We Go Again, and Tomb Raider. Just in case you think I like all movies indiscriminately.)

With that introduction out of the way, should we start in chronological order? Yes, we should!





Black Panther

Image result for black panther screencaps

I thought this would be an underrated movie... boy, did I miscalculate that one! Still, it's very entertaining, well-acted and surprisingly meaningful for the mostly formulaic Marvel properties. Michael B. Jordan's "Killmonger" is the best Marvel villain ever... at least until the next Marvel movie came out. I really, really liked Black Panther, and I am going to nudge it up to 4 STARS!



Ready Player One

Related image

I never could get through the book, but I'm glad I could still be surprised (though I hear there are significant changes), because Spielberg recaptures some of his vintage blockbuster magic with this bombastic visual spectacle. Loved the Alan Silvestri score to bring in that nostalgic 80's vibe, even if the references are a bit too obvious and the story is at times lacking. I'm giving it a solid 3 STARS!



A Quiet Place

Image result for a quiet place screencaps

This was a surprise hit, and unfortunately I waited too long to see this and had the end twist spoiled for me. However, that didn't impact my enjoyment of the film. The suspense is still unrelenting, and the conceit of silence as a means for survival is perfectly staged for an incredibly tense experience. I'm fascinated to see where the sequel goes. A very solid 3 1/2 STARS!



Avengers: Infinity War

Image result for infinity war screencaps

They did it. Somehow, they were able to take all of these movies and characters and mash them up into a comprehensible and exciting to the point of exhaustion movie-going experience. It's unlike anything we've ever seen before, and strikes the perfect balance of humor, dread, adrenaline, and shock-value. Best Marvel villain ever award goes to Thanos. Can't wait to see what awaits us in Avengers: End Game. This one gets a no-brainer 4 STARS!



Solo: A Star Wars Story

Image result for solo screencaps

I don't care what anyone says, I really enjoyed Solo, and I like more every time I see it. It's fun, fast-paced, familiar enough, but puts a few spins on the backstory we thought we knew. Alden Ehrenreich does much better than most people give him credit for, considering the whining I was hearing from Star Wars fans prior to the film's release. Definitely an underrated film in the series, and I would say it deserves much more love than it received. I'm giving it 3 1/2 STARS!



Ocean's 8

Image result for oceans 8 screencaps

Maybe not the most groundbreaking movie, but I think it was good enough to wash the bad taste of the new Ghostbusters reboot from the mouths of those who hated the idea of women taking over male-centered movies. The cast is great, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying their chemistry and the twists and turns of their heist. I would definitely come back for an Ocean's 9. 3 STARS!



Incredibles 2

Image result for incredibles 2 screencaps

Was it worth the wait? Sure, I would say so. Just because it wasn't as good as the first one doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie. I really enjoyed this sequel, and thought that the exploration of Jack-Jack's powers, the extension of how supers could be re-integrated into society, and the continual insights into domestic life for a retired superhero were all executed very well. It's not as fresh as it was, but still a highly enjoyable experience. I'm giving it 3 1/2 STARS!



Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Related image

I LOVED the first Jurassic World movie, so I was dying to see how they would handle the destruction of Isla Nublar in this highly-anticipated sequel. Though that was the best part of the movie, I still found myself enjoying the philosophical debates of cloned animal rights, the tension of being hunted in a small area by a vicious, genetically-modified monster, and the ridiculous villains getting what was coming to them. A clear step down, but one that I still enjoyed. Solid 3 STARS!



Ant-Man and the Wasp

Image result for ant man and the wasp screencaps

For the 3rd Marvel movie of the year, it was still surprisingly fresh. Part of that is due to the clearly comedic tone of this character compared to the world-ending stakes of Infinity War. It was a nice change of pace to just go on a small adventure with the smallest superhero. Very funny throughout, a fairly predictable villain (though she had a really cool power), and a good way to build on the hype for End Game. I'm giving this one a slightly generous 3 1/2 STARS!



Mission Impossible: Fallout

Image result for mission impossible fallout screencaps

Easily the best action film of the year in terms of in-camera stunts and fight scenes, this franchise somehow found a way to top itself with Fallout. Tom Cruise is still fantastic in this role, and the addition of Henry Cavill is a well-timed shake-up in the proceedings. This is a thrill ride that will keep you guessing and have you marveling at how devoted Cruise is at capturing authenticity in action scenes. I'm giving this one a slightly generous 4 STARS!



BlacKkKlansman

Image result for blackkklansman screencaps

Not a film for the faint of heart, but also much funnier and purely entertaining than I expected. The premise of a black police officer going undercover to join the KKK has the feel of a heist film, and Spike Lee gives it the same energy you would expect from an Ocean's film. Having said that, it's also incredibly powerful, and gives you several gut-punches that remind you how prevalent and horrifying racism still is in our country. Definitely worthy of 4 STARS!



A Star is Born

Image result for a star is born screencaps

My wife saw this without me at first, so I had to wait until it was available to rent before I could see it. Definitely worth the wait, and easily my favorite movie of 2018. So much emotional resonance in a story that has been told so many times, and the music is absolutely incredible. The acting is on another level, particularly from the somehow-still-surprisingly talented Lady Gaga. I'm only a little ashamed to say that I cried like a baby in this movie. A very strong 4 STARS!



Bohemian Rhapsody

Image result for bohemian rhapsody screencaps

I wasn't sure how this movie would portray a singer whose voice no Hollywood actor could possibly replicate. They did the smart thing and used Freddy Mercury's actual vocals, but that doesn't at all minimize the mesmerizing performance of Rami Malek, who deservedly won an Oscar for his work in this film. It told me things I didn't know about Queen, while also hitting the stuff we all wanted to see. It's definitely a bit too simplistic at times, but still worthy of 3 1/2 STARS!



Creed II

Image result for creed 2 screencaps

I was really looking forward to this film, but slightly worried at the same time after hearing they would try and bring back the Drago family into this series. I shouldn't have been worried at all. This film is just about as good as its predecessor, and met all of my expectations. Michael B. Jordan is not only more ripped than I've ever seen him, but he's truly at the top of his acting game here as well. Plus, this movie found a way to end a climactic fight in a completely unique way that I don't think anyone could see coming. There are a lot of emotional payoffs as well, and for characters you might not expect. I have no problem giving this 4 STARS!



Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Related image

As maybe the biggest Harry Potter nerd that I know, seeing this movie was high on my to-do list for 2018. There's been a lot of anger directed at this film, but I think that we should give J.K. Rowling the benefit of the doubt with some of the unanswered questions this film raises. The main things this movie needed to get right were Grindelwald and Dumbledore, and both Johnny Depp and Jude Law came to play. They've set up some very intriguing stuff for the next few films to follow up on, and I can't wait to see what Rowling creates next. I'm giving this a controversial (to some) 3 1/2 STARS!



Mary Poppins Returns

Related image

What a wonderfully charming movie this turned out to be! My wife and I re-watched the original before going to the theaters, and I think it really helped us appreciate all the details the filmmakers painstakingly included with this long-awaited sequel. Emily Blunt deserved at least an Oscar nomination for this magnificent performance in a truly iconic role. The music is inventive, fun, and at times heartbreaking. The visuals were magical, and it recaptures the feeling evoked in that original film for a new generation, which is fitting for this story. I'm giving this a solid 4 STARS!



Aquaman

Image result for aquaman movie screencaps

The last film I saw in 2018 may not have been the best one, but it was certainly the most unique. The visuals alone for this film are worth the price of admission, as you're taken to other-worldly vistas filled with every sea creature imaginable (and a few that are unimaginable). The story may be a little too familiar, but it's done differently enough to remain enjoyable. The villains do sink this film for me, though not to the point where I dislike what I'm seeing. Not better than Wonder Woman, but better than Justice League, this film deserves at least 3 STARS!




So that's it! Hopefully that makes up a little for my extended absence. I became a dad last year, and haven't had a lot of free time to devote to my passion for movies. I've been missing it lately, though, so I had to put something on this lonely blog before it faded completely into non-existence. Let me know what you thought of these movies! Are there some movies I still need to catch up on from last year, or did I already see everything worth seeing? Thanks for reading, and I'll try to be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment